Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Anomia Annoy-a-Me




Anomia: A problem with word finding.  Impaired recalling of words with no impairment of comprehension or the capacity to repeat the words.  Also known as anomic aphysia.

Aphasia: One in a group of speech disorders in which there is a defect or loss of the power of expression by speech, writing, or signs, or a defect or loss of the power of comprehension of spoken or written language. 

I have recently learned that anomia is common in adults with learning disabilities.  It's a fancy word for "I know what I want to say, but my mind is blank."  It goes beyond simply forgetting a word here or there.  It actually happens to me so often that it literally makes my brain feel like it just ran a marathon (wouldn't THAT be interesting!)  It induces paralyzing anxiety for me, and messes with my self-confidence.  Sure, it annoys me, but it also makes me worried and fearful.  

Anomia stinks.  Worse than amonia...

Anomia keeps me up until 1 a.m. the night before my first teaching job interview.  Anomia, you own me.  But some day I will own YA.

-DTL

2 comments:

Jill said...

Good luck on your interview today! Spend a few minutes in the car on the way over envisioning how you will rock it, how poised you will be and how all of the exact words will come to you at the exact moment. You've already impressed them with your dedication, knowledge and questions, now they just want to shake your hand before they welcome you on (I know it!) You'll do great because you're a great teacher :)

Chrissy said...

Awww....thanks so much. I will definitely do the visualization. It will help, for sure. Love you!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Denvers Tumbling Leaf