Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dear Eddie...

It's me, your cousin Chrissy.  I'd ask you how you're doing, but that would just be a silly question.  I can picture you now saying, "DUH, Chrissy."  Since you were always the first to tell the story to anyone who would listen about how I got ketchup on the back of my jacket while I was wearing it, I guess I'd just expect a smart ass (yet funny!) remark from you.  It's just how you roll.

Anyway, I've been thinking lately about how you and I are kind of alike.  I never really made the connection when we were kids, but I have noticed it more and more over the years.  Maybe it's our similar attention spans (or lack thereof), or our less-than-traditional route to figuring ourselves out.  And our entire family knows about our inability to communicate in a timely manner!  Boy, they just don't understand us, Ed...

Well, I could use this chance to tell you how proud I am of you for your service in the army.  Or to tell you that I'm praying for you and Karen, and hoping for a speedy recovery.  Even to talk about how it stinks that sometimes it takes a tragedy to bring a family closer.  But, I won't.  Not yet.  I tied a couple of yellow ribbons around our tree in Denver for you and Karen, and I'm letting those ribbons speak for themselves.

Instead, I want to share some family photos so we can all remember what it's like when we can all be together.  It's rare nowadays, since we've gotten older, started families, and have gone our separate ways.  It doesn't mean that we can't have a good laugh right now at some of these pics, because although we may have annoyed each other at times, we sure did have some fun!


I thought I'd begin with our Colorado trip.  I'm not sure if this was taken before or after Caryn fell out of the raft.  Ever since I pulled this photo out of a box, I've been singing, "FAR AWAY!!!!! (far away)  FAR AWAY!!!!  (far away)  Oh, the ranch with the horsies, is far, far away.  FAR AWAY!!!"  Thanks, Uncle Jerry.  You managed to get a song stuck in our heads for almost 20 years.


I love this one.  Here you are, standing with your hands on your belt, just like grandpa.  You were always good for a laugh...

And let's not forget dancing.  We definitely danced a lot.  Here's me and you, doing something weird.  Who knows...  Caryn looks like she's having a BALL!

 "You mean we get to dance with GRANDMA?  Get out of town!" 



"No, Chris!  Like this!  Turn your hand over this way...dummy!"

Check you out -- more dancing with your dad and Mikey in Montana.  "Ohhhhh I don't want her you can have her she's too fat for me!"

And who can forget our Super Bowl Shuffle performance?  Caryn, nice job keeping Mike in line...

"We are the Bears, shufflin' crew...shufflin' on down, doing it for you!  We're so bad, you know we're good, blowing your mind like you knew we would!"  Ha ha...turn, Mike!  Turn!  Is that WWF on the television?

Of course, there's the standard cousins photo in front of the Christmas tree.  You and Mike are too cute here.  You too, Jennifer.  Jay, did Eddie punch you just before this shot?  You look ticked!

We're older here, but I probably did punch Mike.  And he probably deserved it  :-)


Sure, you can be a little cranky sometimes.  Just put Jesus in the manger, will ya, Ed?

But you always make up for it.  That's better!

See...  Cranky...

Better!  And there's Caryn, the Bozo Buckets coach.  She should know...she played the REAL Bozo Buckets on television!  Yep, I'm still jealous...

And, well, perhaps when you're feeling better you might kill me for posting this pic, but this is payback for all of the "ketchup/jacket" stories.  Nice turtleneck, Ed!


Finally, in all seriousness, here's our latest picture of all of us this past Christmas.  I even added Aunt Barb, Shawn and Barb, he he.  We all miss you.  We're all proud of you.  And we all can't wait until your next, "Well...DUH!"

With all my heart,
Your cousin Chrissy

3 comments:

carol scafide said...

Great job Chrissy. Dad and I laughed--a lot.

Ed Matayka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ed Matayka said...

Chrissy, so great of you to bring back some good memories, thank you.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Denvers Tumbling Leaf